It all started with her brother’s science kit. While he wouldn’t let Monica touch it as a little girl, she got hooked just watching him build his experiments. Now, she’s headed off to the University of Colorado – Boulder to pursue a degree in Aerospace Engineering.
“I want to be part of that group of people that actually figures out how to take human beings out of our own galaxy.”
- Monica Chairez, Valen Analytics 2016 Scholarship Winner
Watch Monica accept her $4,500 scholarship.
At Valen, we’re always looking for the brightest minds who want to solve really tough problems for our customers by using math and science skills. This year, we reached out to Colorado Early College, an urban magnet high school in Denver established in 1976, that incorporates real-life learning experiences in dozens of career-oriented courses. We were thrilled to find a very deserving student in Monica Chairez, who told us that Valen’s scholarship will allow her to be debt-free when she graduates.
Monica has demonstrated a fierce commitment to her education, being a leader amongst her peers, and giving back to her community. Take a look at her impressive student resume:
- Actively involved in CEC’s Robotics program, serving as captain for the FTC (First Tech) and RTC teams.
- Dedicated countless hours of community service – well above anything that was required of her – to help both the Girl Scouts and Boys & Girls Club.
- Model student and National Honors Society member.
- Classmates describe Monica as someone who always has a smile on her face and motivates her peers to be their best by setting the example herself.
- Completed over a semester’s worth of college transferrable credits through concurrent enrollment at the Community College of Denver.
It’s no wonder the leadership at CEC chose Monica to be considered for our scholarship. We are humbled to play a small part in her future and watch her soar in this galaxy and beyond.
Are you recruiting the best and brightest to join insurance?
Valen leads an industry coalition making insurance attractive to Millennials. Join the Insurance Careers Movement – a grassroots, volunteer initiative with over 600 participating companies.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Kirstin Marr is the chief brand advocate for Valen Analytics, paving the way for prospective clients to lead the innovation initiatives required to compete in today’s marketplace. She has a passion for building companies that invent leading-edge technologies to improve customers’ lives and solve the inefficiencies that exist in many traditional marketplaces. Kirstin also has a long-standing commitment to philanthropy and community leadership. She was most recently Board President for Colorado MESA, a non-profit that serves underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students to graduate from college and successfully pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). She also co-founded a non-profit to benefit the Teen Lounge at Children’s Hospital Colorado.