Join a high performing and rapidly growing team
Valen Analytics is a rapidly expanding advanced data and predictive analytics company headquartered in downtown Denver. Valen’s state-of-the-art analytics and predictive modeling products are built on Valen’s unique industry-wide consortium data platform, specifically designed for property and casualty insurance carriers. If you want to help build an industry-changing company and you thrive in a fast-paced environment where the only rule is to WOW customers, colleagues and shareholders, then we encourage you to submit your resume. This is not a job. It is an opportunity to advance your career by helping to build an innovative, growing and highly respected organization. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial, driven and passionate about being successful and absolutely committed to making Valen successful.
Subject matter experts at Valen lead our client work, bringing both deep understanding of the business of insurance and the analytics that can drive success. SMEs use their knowledge and creative thinking to develop solutions to business problems and are experts at communicating those solutions to diverse groups with varying perspectives and levels of technical knowledge. Valen SMEs have the responsibility to act as thought leaders within Valen and in the larger insurance space, helping traditional insurers update their capabilities to enhance their existing competitive positioning, and new entrants build tools to support their business models.
- Lead teams that build advanced analytics that aid insurers in optimizing decision-making along the insurance value chain.
- Work with carriers to understand their business and develop analytics designed to solve critical business problems.
- Act as a translation layer between business people and analytic / modeling teams, and works with technical implementation teams to design an approach to ensure the application will be used.
- Present results to various levels of leadership and influences key decisions that have business unit or enterprise impact.
- Utilize industry best practices to quantify individual risk and aggregate exposures.Oversee the development of complex systems and programs that measure individual and aggregate risk exposures.
- May oversee model validation and model governance efforts.
- Apply innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
- Act as an industry thought leader, understanding current industry issues and trends and educating on the opportunities for advanced analytics.
- Direct and/or perform a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques. Identify & creatively use conventional and non-conventional data sources independently.
- Direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as large and complex initiatives. Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- Proactively maintain an understanding of industry developments, market conditions, and jurisdictional issues.
- Direct industry analysis and benchmarking studies. Adjust strategy as appropriate to anticipate, respond to, and manage trends.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Direct the development of new approaches to business problems.
- Partner with peers across the company to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
Education & Experience
- Education Required: BS/BA
- Education Preferred: MS/MA/MBA preferred
- Experience Required: 5+ years of experience in P&C insurance industry
- Experience Preferred:
- 3+ years in underwriting or as a product or LOB analyst
- BOP, Commercial Auto, GL/Package and Workers’ Compensation
- Underwriting, rating, and rate-making experience in personal auto, multi-peril homeowners
- Product Management or product analyst experience a plus
- Predictive Modeling exposure
- Solid familiarity with actuarial rate-making procedures, exposure, premium and loss types, premium and loss adjustments and modifiers, loss cost multipliers, experience rating, policy limits and reinsurance, rating bureau provisions, loss costs and development factors, filing process and content, data reporting, statutory and regulatory knowledge
- Working familiarity with SAS, R, Matlab, Python or similar platforms
Consulting and client engagement/ownership:
- Management consulting experience a plus
- Creativity, developing practical, implementable solutions for challenging business problems
- Capable listener, identifying client business problems and synthesizing into a delivery solution
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating the ability to present predictive analytic concepts to the executive management of our clients
- Contract development
- Relationship management
Project management/oversight/budgeting/contracting knowledge and skill sets:
- Project management discipline and tools
- Agile, Design Thinking, and Kanban product and project management experience a plus
Other pluses include:
- 3+ years consulting company experience with end-to-end client ownership
- CPCU or actuarial certifications or exam passage
- Predictive modeling knowledge and/or exposure to advanced analytic techniques (e.g., machine learning / deep learning)
- Knowledge of reinsurance
- Data, Reporting, R, SAS, SQL and programming skills
Valen builds data consortiums and predictive models that help insurance companies select and price insurance policies. Valen’s primary product, InsureRight Platform, allows insurers to improve underwriting profits. InsureRight includes two components:
- Manage: A portfolio management tool for executives and underwriting managers
- Predict: A risk selection and pricing tool for underwriters
Valen serves the following insurance lines of business: workers’ compensation, commercial auto, commercial package, business owner policy (BOP), personal auto and homeowners.
The Valen Team
Valen’s mission is to help our clients achieve their goals and solve problems by leveraging data to make more informed decisions. Members of the Valen team possess the following attributes of Valen’s core values. If this matches the environment you are looking for, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Entrepreneurial – Market and results focused, taking initiative in an unstructured environment and influencing positive change. Team-oriented, collaboratively supporting and enabling the success of others.
- Direct – An effective and direct communicator, challenging ideas while remaining open-minded and valuing diversity of thought. Willing to give and receive productive feedback and to hold your colleagues (subordinates and superiors alike) accountable.
- Able to wow – Creative and innovative, a true problem-solver, generating new and exciting ideas and high-value solutions. Focused on exceeding expectations, striving for flawless execution. An overachiever.
- Principled – Honest, demonstrating integrity and trust, and assuming positive intent. Show others respect and always strive to do the right thing.
- Fun – Enjoy the work you do and always approach it with a positive attitude. Ready to work hard and play hard.
Submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org