Join a high performing and rapidly growing team
Valen Analytics is a rapidly expanding advanced data and predictive analytics company headquartered in downtown Denver. Valen’s state-of-the-art analytics and predictive modeling products are built on Valen’s unique industry-wide consortium data platform, specifically designed for property and casualty insurance carriers. If you want to help build an industry-changing company and you thrive in a fast-paced environment where the only rule is to WOW customers, colleagues and shareholders, then we encourage you to submit your resume. This is not a job. It is an opportunity to advance your career by helping to build an innovative, growing and highly respected organization. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial, driven and passionate about being successful and absolutely committed to making Valen successful.
The VP of Applied Analytics is a subject matter expert leading our client work, bringing both deep understanding of the business of insurance and the analytics that can drive success. SMEs use their knowledge and creative thinking to develop solutions to business problems and are experts at communicating those solutions to diverse groups with varying perspectives and levels of technical knowledge. Valen SMEs have the responsibility to act as thought leaders within Valen and in the larger insurance space, helping traditional insurers update their capabilities to enhance their existing competitive positioning, and new entrants build tools to support their business models.
- Lead teams that build advanced analytics that aid insurers in optimizing decision-making along the insurance value chain.
- Work with carriers to understand their business and develop analytics designed to solve critical business problems.
- Act as a translation layer between business and analytic / modeling teams, and work with technical implementation teams to design an approach to ensure the application will be used.
- Present results to various levels of leadership and influences key decisions that have a business unit or enterprise impact.
- Utilize industry best practices to quantify individual risk and aggregate exposures.
- Oversee the development of complex systems and programs that measure individual and aggregate risk exposures.
- Oversee model validation and model governance efforts.
- Apply innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
- Act as an industry thought leader, understanding current industry issues and trends and educating on the opportunities for advanced analytics.
- Direct and/or perform a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques. Identify & creatively use conventional and non-conventional data sources independently.
- Direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as large and complex initiatives. Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- Proactively maintain an understanding of industry developments, market conditions, and jurisdictional issues.
- Direct industry analysis and benchmarking studies. Adjust strategy as appropriate to anticipate, respond to, and manage trends.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Direct the development of new approaches to business problems.
- Partner with peers across the company to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
Education & Experience
- Education Required: BS/BA
- Education Preferred: MS/MA/MBA preferred
- Experience Required: 5+ years of experience in P&C insurance industry
- Experience Preferred:
- 3+ years in underwriting or as a product or LOB analyst
- BOP, Commercial Auto, GL/Package and Workers’ Compensation
- Underwriting, rating, and rate-making experience in personal auto, multi-peril homeowners
- Product Management or product analyst experience a plus
- Predictive Modeling exposure
- Solid familiarity with actuarial rate-making procedures, exposure, premium and loss types, premium and loss adjustments and modifiers, loss cost multipliers, experience rating, policy limits and reinsurance, rating bureau provisions, loss costs and development factors, filing process and content, data reporting, statutory and regulatory knowledge
- Working familiarity with SAS, R, Matlab, Python or similar platforms
Consulting and client engagement/ownership:
- Management consulting experience a plus
- Creativity, developing practical, implementable solutions for challenging business problems
- Capable listener, identifying client business problems and synthesizing into a delivery solution
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating the ability to present predictive analytic concepts to the executive management of our clients
- Contract development
- Relationship management
Project management/oversight/budgeting/contracting knowledge and skill sets:
- Project management discipline and tools
- Agile, Design Thinking, and Kanban product and project management experience a plus
Other pluses include:
- 3+ years consulting company experience with end-to-end client ownership
- CPCU or actuarial certifications or exam passage
- Predictive modeling knowledge and/or exposure to advanced analytic techniques (e.g., machine learning / deep learning)
- Knowledge of reinsurance
- Data, Reporting, R, SAS, SQL and programming skills
Valen is an advanced analytics company for property and casualty insurers. We build data consortiums, predictive models, data products and a modeling deployment platform that help insurance companies make more informed decisions for customer acquisition, pricing, claims and handling. Valen’s InsureRight Platform includes:
- Manage: A portfolio management tool for executives and underwriting managers
- Predict: A risk selection and pricing tool for underwriters
- Platform: A deployment platform that allows insurers to deploy, monitor and measure models in production
Valen primarily serves the following insurance lines of business: workers’ compensation, commercial auto, commercial package, business owner policy (BOP), personal auto and homeowners.
As an Insurity company, we enjoy strategic alignment and a combined customer value proposition.
|Insurity Brand Pillar||How Valen Supports the Brand Promise|
|Speed to Value||Valen’s predictive models are live in production in 2-4 months|
|Cloud Leadership||Valen’s platform was built for the cloud, using restful API since inception in 2004|
|Insurance Domain Expertise||Valen’s experts design analytics that target a specific business problem and measurable outcomes proven to work for P/C insurers|
Our Core Values
Across Insurity, we share a common set of core values.
Be Awesome: We are passionate, strive for greatness and seek continuous improvement
Own It: Individually and collectively, we are accountable for our commitments to customers
Do the Right Thing: Customers count on us to be honest, transparent, fair and have integrity
Move Mountains: We come together and work as a team to overcome challenges
Celebrate Together: We work hard, play hard and show appreciation for each other
Our Guiding Principles
Valen’s mission is to help our clients achieve their goals and solve problems by leveraging data to make more informed decisions.
Guide Customer Success: We relentlessly pursue making our customers successful.
Live the Golden Rule: We treat our customers, employees, vendors and shareholders how we expect to be treated as customers, employees, vendors and shareholders…period.
Be Agile: Valen is a test and learn environment. We organize everything we do around our customer’s success to provide something of value quickly. We learn and then adapt. Then, we learn some more.
Have Fun: We have great attitudes and we have FUN. We do not take ourselves too seriously, we celebrate our successes and we enjoy our work. Most of all, we live passionately.
Embrace Simplicity: We endeavor to make EVERYTHING we provide our customers ridiculously easy.
Expect Ownership: At Valen we take responsibility for our actions and we build trusting relationships by making and meeting our commitments.
To Apply: Send your resume to email@example.com